The policy states that any items that are found and have the potential to cause a fire, such as candles, incense, and certain appliances like microwaves, and sandwich makers, will be confiscated and not returned to the students they were taken from. Under the old policy students were able to get the items back at the end of the year.
Around candles were taken from students in Onondaga Hall alone last year. According to the Oswego Fire Department, the dorms are built compartmentalized, which means that if the door to a room in which there is a fire is shut, the fire will be somewhat contained. This procedure will help the fire from spreading rapidly.
The doors to all rooms are fire resistant. Although these safety features help increase students' chances of survival in the case of a tragedy, they cannot be relied on as the only life-saving precaution. In order to guarantee everyone's safety, students need to be aware of their own roles in regard to fire safety regulations. Smoking, possession of candles, and incense are serious causes of fires and students need to obey the rules. Another hazardous practice that most students living in dorm rooms need to pay attention for is plugging several cords into one multi-outlet that allows several cords to be plugged into at once.
Modifying this practice will heavily decrease the chances of a fire occurring as a result. In the event of a real fire, the most important thing students can do is to keep the exit doors to stairways and escape routes closed. Although many students believe that keeping the doors open will help others escape, is the worst thing they can do, because it helps the fire spread where if you close the fire-resistant door will help contain it.
In there five occurrences in which a student pulled the fire alarm as a prank. Students should turn in anyone who, to their knowledge, has pulled a false alarm. These people, are endangering the lives of everyone they live with. Although some students tend to sleep through alarms involuntarily. For the students who purposely ignore them, it is not the job of their resident advisors to check the rooms for those left inside.
For students who are either hearing impaired or heavy sleepers there are strobe lights available for their alarms. Residence Hall Fire Safety is a serious issue because of the population and potential for injury and loss that could occur as a result of a fire. In Oswego State University there are fire safety rules in which every student is expected to know and follow. Each residence hall conducts periodic fire drills so that residents can learn the proper evacuation procedures and escape routes.
Failure to do so is a violation of residence hall rules and can result in disciplinary action. The procedures and routes are posted on the inside of each door in resident hall rooms and throughout the building. All students should know the location of all the exits on their floor and how to reach them in case of darkness. Every hall is equipped with heat and smoke sensors, fire extinguishers and fire alarms.
When a student moves into a residence hall they should familiarize themselves with the location of this equipment. Tampering with any of the fire protection equipment is prohibited. Intentional activation of alarm systems for any reason other than to report a fire is strictly prohibited. Furniture , decorations and other items which increase the flammability of the residents room may be prohibited at the discretion of the residence hall staff.
Excess amounts of wall decorations can promote rapid flame spread in the event of a fire. Fishnets, parachutes or tapestries, hanging from the ceiling is strictly prohibited.
School Liabilities and Fire Drills in School
Resident hall staff inspect all dorm rooms with prior notice at least once each semester. For instance, if you are performing drills at a place of business that is open 24 hours a day, rotate the drills so all shifts can be trained. Michael Elkins is the administrator for an adult group home in Stockton, Calif. He was been writing stories, journals, essays and articles since He is the recipient of the Sylvia Lopez-Medina award for short fiction and has also published his work in the literary magazine "Penumbra.
Share It. Include blanks for the drill conductor's name, the date, and the times started and completed. Method 1. Listen to your teacher. When the fire alarm goes off, get quiet and listen up. Your teacher will remind you of what to do. Don't interrupt your teacher or talk to students next to you.
- drury university application essay?
- critical thinking critical reading and critical writing?
- Fire Drill Report.
There may also be an announcement on the loudspeaker, so listen up for that as well. Exit the building on your own if you are not with your class.
The fire alarm might go off when you're in the bathroom or hallway. If the fire alarm goes off and you're not in your classroom, walk out of the building and go to the assembly point. Ask the nearest teacher or staff member what to do next. Tell the teacher you are from another class. If a teacher or staff member at your school gives you directions while you're on your way to the assembly point, follow them. Line up at the door. Your teacher will direct you to line up at the door. Line up in a single file line. Stay in your line.
Leave your things. When there's a fire alarm, it's important to react immediately! Don't worry about the project you are working on or the game you are playing. Put your things down. Any stuff you bring with you will slow you down. Walk outside quietly. Stay in your line as you leave the building. Follow your teacher to the nearest exit. While in line, stay quiet and keep your hands to yourself.
Avoid pushing your classmates or any other students. Stay in line so your teacher can keep track of you. Stay at the assembly point. Once your class has walked to the assembly point, your teacher will probably call roll. Listen for your name and respond when you are called. Do not re-enter the building unless your teacher directs you to.
Method 2. Stop, drop, and roll.todisreland.tk
How to React to a Fire Alarm at School (Kids): 11 Steps
If your clothes catch on fire, put the fire out by stopping where you are, dropping on the ground, and rolling. Rolling will smother the flames against the ground. Get low to avoid smoke. Breathing smoke can hurt you and make you pass out. Smoke rises, so you can avoid it if you get under it. If you see smoke, crawl to stay below it. Breathe through a cloth. If it is smokey, put cloth over your mouth and breathe through that.